Sunday, May 3, 2015

No Rainbows, Just Rain

When you think of Scotland, what do you imagine? Castles? Kilts? Bagpipes? Most people think of the weather - cold, grey, and rainy. I have to say, most of the time that isn't true. I've had so many beautiful, blue sky days since moving here and the rain seems to only appear overnight and disappear in the day.

Today is an exception. It's raining outside just the way you'd expect from a country this far north. As I sipped my cup of tea this morning and thought about where I am in this journey, I wondered if the weather was mirroring how I felt.



First and foremost, I feel sadness. The kind of deep, immeasurable sadness that wells up when you're not expecting it. The diagnosis of endometriosis still has me reeling. The fact that there is no way to stop it and only surgery or pregnancy to treat it has added new layers of stress to my already gigantic pile. Isn't having PCOS enough for one person? I can't ovulate properly, but now I get to have constant abdominal pain that will interfere with falling pregnant and staying pregnant? 

Then I think - what else is wrong with me?

And the rain falls steadily, inside and outside. Hovering, menacing, iron-grey clouds hang over me. I try to push it back down, cover the sadness with my list.

Every day I make a list of the things I am grateful for. It reminds me of everything I have now and keeps me focused on the positives. The list is seemingly endless; I'm thankful for my house, my neighborhood, my neighbors, my job, my family, my friends, my (mostly) strong and healthy body, my past experiences, my travel, clean water, good food, interesting books, my education... I could just keep writing. Sometimes I even go through my friends and family one by one, thinking of how each person has brought joy and happiness into my life. 

And this list pushes back down the sadness and the darkness for a small while. It reminds me there is more to me and my life than just trying to fall pregnant. It's enough for me to catch my breath and try ignore that deep pain

If you're struggling with infertility too, you know the pain. I don't need to describe it to you, because you know and feel this pain everyday. If you aren't struggling with infertility, the words could never describe it. I'm not trying to belittle other types of pain - there is a whole buffet of pain out there, all with its own flavors and subtleties and none necessarily easier to bear than others. But the pain from infertility can only be understood by those experiencing it and it's a club I never intended to join.

Howling wind screeches past my window as the harsh pounding of raindrops continues. I'm in the stormy part of my journey, I tell myself. Intervention (and hopefully success), will be here someday, but isn't here yet. It's something I have to tell myself over and over to keep my hope up. Because in infertility, there are no guarantees. It might rain and rain and rain and rain... with no rainbows. 

It's a healing, waiting, hoping game for now. As the rain drives down, ever more forceful, I just have to remember that without the rain there wouldn't even be a chance of rainbows. And that little bit of hope is enough for now as I sit here, wishing for my rainbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment