Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Rubella and A Break

After meeting with our fertility doctor, he mentioned that the results from my blood tests showed that I was not immune to Rubella. I found this strange, as I had the Measles/Mumps/Rubella (MMR) vaccine as an infant, then the booster as a child. This is a problem because if you are not immune and fall pregnant, then contract Rubella, the consequences are severe - including miscarriage, stillbirth, or birth defects. Before we can start with our great big plan of attack at the fertility clinic, I would need another Rubella vaccination. 

Now I am all for protecting any future babies, so of course I called my local medical practice right up to make an appointment. The problem with the Rubella vaccine is that, because it is a weakened live version of the virus, you cannot attempt pregnancy for at least a month afterwards. 

So this month we are officially forced to take "a break". Next month is when the whole circus will start, so I guess it's a nice little recuperation time for us. I've oscillated between being grateful to be less focused on my temperature, cervical mucus (cm) and the ever present "am I, aren't I" ovulating question, and feeling really frustrated that we're missing another opportunity and chance to make something special. Then, because there is nothing I can do about it, I let it go.

I do have a lot going on in the next few weeks, with a trip planned to visit friends, wine tasting, date nights, anniversary getaways, I guess the timing couldn't be much better. I know my husband feels a certain sense of relief at no longer being called on in a moment's notice whenever I show the slightest hint of ovulation. Four months straight of being "on call" with no end in sight was exhausting, I know. Hopefully when next month comes and we need timed intercourse (to go along with our trigger), he and I will be ready and refreshed and it will be mentally easier for both of us. With the near-daily ultrasounds and constant monitoring I'll have, at least a lot of the unknowns will be removed from the equation. 

So that's our latest update - with the vaccine already in me, I've got two weeks until I start Provera to bring on a period, then I can begin Clomid on days 3-7 of my cycle, and then we wait and watch for maturing follicles and trigger the release of an egg! A month seems long, but I'm hoping this one will speed by and get us closer to our next chance of our rainbow baby. 





No comments:

Post a Comment