Saturday, June 18, 2016

38 Weeks and on Maternity Leave

It's been far too long since an update here, but I have to say it was all I could do to scrape myself off the floor and get into work on time looking semi-decent. The prospect of doing anything useful on the weekends (besides cleaning and organizing my whole house!) was just too much.

Yesterday, however, was my last day of work as I've started Maternity Leave!!! I am so lucky to live in a country that allows me time before the baby to rest and time after the baby to take care of my little person without feeling like I need to rush back to work. I get 3 months full pay, then 30 more weeks of a maternity stipend. So it's Saturday morning and instead of worrying about getting everything done over the weekend I am nothing but relaxed. What should I do today? Drink a cup of tea, watch another movie or have a nap? All of the above?

At 38+4 right now, I have to admit I am still feeling pretty great and overall much better than I expected. Yes, I am large, and yes, I have difficulty getting off the couch. But I have been able to work without any problems (exhaustion is the exception, but what teacher isn't exhausted at the end of the year?). My ankles still look like ankles (not cankles), I have avoided varicose veins, my weight gain has finally slowed, and my emotional state is relatively stable. Except when my sweet students give me gifts or cards or hugs - but that would make anyone tear up! I know it could be another 3ish weeks until I meet Wriggles which I am A-OK with (at least for now). I'm happy to have some rest time ahead of me and for Wriggles to come and meet me when s/he is ready. 



So now begins the waiting, with every day ticking down until I get to meet my sweet little one. With a due date of June 28th, I am definitely considered "full term" at this point and Wriggles could appear any time. I think because I had so much uncertain waiting before when I was trying to get pregnant that I am okay with the waiting I'm doing now. There is a real and concrete date that Wriggles will have to arrive as they don't let you go more than 2 weeks past your due date. That kind of waiting is much better than having no idea if you'll ever have a baby!

Excuse me as I go make myself another cup of tea and contemplate a lovely, calm day.


No comments:

Post a Comment